Monday, February 07, 2005

Abbott and Wood

Two of the Guild's most prominent members, Paul Abbott (free registration required) and Victoria Wood, interviewed (separately) in The Guardian.

Abbott talks about Shameless and his writing career:
The 21-year-old Abbott was not impressed by his colleagues [on Coronation Street]. "Some people had been working there since episode six. This was 1983! They had started two decades before!" Like them, though, he stayed and became comfortable. "I was there for eight-and-a-half years. Soaps are great - they teach you how to write a lot, but that's it. It's opposed to writing. It's a succubus." So why did you stay so long? "Two hundred grand a year."

Wood speaks as her new musical is previewing in the West End:
"I've always wanted to do a proper musical," says Wood, who has written an entirely new book and songsheet for the occasion. "I had the idea at the back of my mind for years, but I was so busy with TV and stand-up that I never had time. When I finally got round to it, I just thought that Acorn Antiques was the strongest brand in my back catalogue, and that the words 'Acorn Antiques - the Musical' would look very funny on a poster."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.