Sunday, October 02, 2005

Guardian Profile: Alan Bennett

The Guardian has published a profile of tea drinking, biscuit eater Alan Bennett.
He still doesn't think of himself as well read. 'Even at university there seemed no time to read,' he says. 'Or at least no time to read a book all the way through.'He didn't read Dickens until he was in his late 20s. 'I was on the boat home from New York where we'd been doing Beyond the Fringe and I read Bleak House. I didn't feel like I'd encountered something revelatory, I was just pleased to have got through it.' "
I know that feeling. Well, without the glamorous aspect of the travel back from New York. Or of getting through the book. Or of being pleased, thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.