- Start with character.
- Write from the heart - put everything into the script.
- It's not your job to worry about budget. If you want a helicopter in your script, put one in. Someone else can always take it out.
- Don't second-guess what you think people want.
- Don't write something that is like a successful show that's already on. Be first, don't follow - you'll be too late.
- There is no secret. Just write.
How to get noticed
- Be nice to people. Script editors are on a career path. The script editors and secretaries you meet today are the commissioning editors of tomorrow.
- Use the same creativity you put on the page to get your script made - Tony used to put sweets in the jiffy bags when he delivered his scripts. People remembered him. Do something creative that will make sure people remember you.
- Scan the credits of your favourite shows - write to the script editors and producers of the kind of show you'd like to make
- Red Planet Pictures has an open policy - if you've got a script you want them to read, send it.
- If you believe in your script, you have to get people to look at it - pursue them.
How to survive rejection
- Don't let anyone tell you that you can't write - how do they know?
- Remember that Tony Jordan still gets rejected. It hurts - every time he vows to give up writing. But he always goes back to it - and he gets shows commissioned.
- Never give up.