Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Build your own website

On the Writers' Guild website I've put up a version of the article I wrote for the current issue of the Guild's magazine, UK Writer, about building your own website using free online tools.

The one I've used most is weebly.com, but I also like webnode.com. And, as I explain in the article, established blogging tools like Wordpress.com can be also be used to build sites.

All these tools give people without technical expertise the ability to build and maintain a good quality website for free. No charge for set-up or hosting. No monthly fees. All you will have to pay for is a domain (if you want one without a suffix like weebly.com or wordpress.com etc) but they tend to be pretty cheap.

The only real drawback is that you never know when these tools might stop being free or, indeed, when they might go out of business. You're also relying on your own design skills using the templates provided. However, most services allow you to back up your site in case disaster strikes and, if you buy your own domain, you could simply switch to a new host.

If anyone has experience of any of these tools, or gives them a go now, I'd be interested to hear what you think.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:25 am

    I am designing a new website, www.thaneoffife.com for my project about MacDuff, the Thane of Fife. I am using Soholaunch my ISP's tools.
    My Domain comes free as long as it is hosted by Hostpapa UK, my ISP... and it's not too expensive...
    I have an average knowledge of web design for a computer user and am quite pleased with my efforts thus far. I consider that it is easy to use, especially as I used one of their templates, which I modified, and there are loads of video tutorials in case you have problems. I also found their support service, which I used once, very swift...

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.