Monday, May 24, 2010

Guy Hibbert wins BAFTA TV writer award

Congratulations to Guild member Guy Hibbert (pictured, above) who was named best writer at the BAFTA TV Awards last night for Five Minutes Of Heaven.

There's an interview with Guy on the Writers' Guild website in which he discusses the project.
After Omagh (written by Guy Hibbert and Paul Greengrass), I was asked by BBC Northern Ireland to write something about the legacy of violence. I wasn't sure how to approach it but then came across a BBC documentary about the Troubles in which the perpetrators of crime were to meet the families of their victims. Through this I heard about Joe and Alistair. In 1975 Joe Griffin was 11 when Alistair Little, who was then himself just 17, drove up to Joe's parents'; house and shot Joe's brother three times in the head. Joe witnessed the killing. Thirty years later both men were asked to appear in this documentary; Joe refused saying that "if I am ever in a room with that man I will kill him". I immediately knew this was my story and so set about meeting both men.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.