Thursday, June 10, 2010

Jonathan Harvey interview

With his new play, Canary, now on tour, Guild member Jonathan Harvey talks to us about writing plays, Coronation Street and the state of TV comedy.
What led you to write Canary?

I had a desire to write a stage play that documented how life has changed for gay people in Britain over the years. To thank the pioneers who went before me and fought for the relative freedoms I enjoy today. Now I know how dry that sounds so my challenge was to also make it a compelling and dramatic story. I have not had a new full-length play on for nine years, so I knew that when I returned to theatre I wanted to come back with something full of big ideas, and to repel the myth that I am just a purveyor of camp froth!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.