Saturday, January 22, 2005

The art of procrastination

The joy of not writing, by Henry Shukman in The Guardian.
For the last decade I have been working on five fiction manuscripts. One of them is two decades old (and still incomplete). By the time I was 22 I had written three novels (two of them abandoned); no procrastination there, you might think. But the next part threw me: going out to buy a teach-yourself typing book took me five years. It seemed I'd rather do almost anything than that: a PhD (begun but never written), copy-writing, working at an airport, on fishing boats, as a musician - anything rather than take a simple but somehow immeasurably difficult step towards helping my manuscripts become actual books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.