Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Moffat to take over from Davies at Doctor Who

Russell T. Davies, the man who reinvented Saturday night TV as lead writer on Doctor Who, is stepping down from the role, says the BBC. He will be replaced by Steven Moffat who, as well as creating comedy series Coupling and writing the screenplay for the upcoming Tintin film, has also written several award-winning episodes of Doctor Who.

Davies will work on four more Doctor Who specials to be broadcast next year, before Moffat takes over for the next series in 2010.
Steven Moffat says: "My entire career has been a Secret Plan to get this job. I applied before but I got knocked back 'cos the BBC wanted someone else. Also I was seven.

"Anyway, I'm glad the BBC has finally seen the light, and it's a huge honour to be following Russell into the best - and the toughest - job in television. I say toughest 'cos Russell's at my window right now, pointing and laughing."

Lead Writer and Executive Producer Russell T Davies says: "It's been a delight and an honour working with Steven, and I can't wait to see where his extraordinary imagination takes the Doctor. Best of all, I get to be a viewer again, watching on a Saturday night!"

Jane Tranter, Controller, BBC Fiction, says: "Scripts and writers are at the heart of what BBC Drama is all about, and especially at the heart of Doctor Who. The past four series have been brilliantly helmed by the spectacularly talented Russell T Davies.

"As Lead Writer and Executive Producer, he has overseen the creative direction and detail of the 21st century relaunch of Doctor Who and we are delighted to have his continued presence on the specials over the next 18 months."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.