Thursday, September 18, 2008

Doctor Who: The Writer's Tale

Doctor Who: Writers TaleIf your hunger for the inside track on writing the Doctor isn't yet satiated, you can read extracts of a new BBC book, Doctor Who: The Writer's Tale, in The Times. It's 'writer' in the singular - i.e. Russell T. Davies. Here's his response to the question, "How do you know when to start writing?"
"I leave it till the last minute. And then I leave it some more. Eventually, I leave it till I'm desperate. That's really the word, desperate. I always think, I'm not ready to write it, I don't know what I'm doing, it's just a jumble of thoughts in a state of flux, there's no story, I don't know how A connects to B, I don't know anything! I get myself into a genuine state of panic. Except panic sounds exciting. It sounds all running-around and adrenalised. This is more like a black cloud of fear and failure."
Blimey.

2 comments:

  1. You have to admire his honesty. Steven Moffatt said something similar in an interview about how first drafts 'make amateurs of us all'.
    Definitely on my 'to read' list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to have a look inside the book, visit the book's website: www.thewriterstale.com. YOu can also download six shooting scripts from series 4 of Doctor Who.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.