Monday, January 11, 2010

Amir Nizar interview

In the Guardian, Rory McCarthy meets Palestinian playwright Amir Nizar ahead of the London opening of Nizar's play, I Am Yusuf And This Is My Brother.
Zuabi's writing is...far from polemical. The Jews who fought to create their state are almost absent; never named, they appear only in the background. "We saw them first in January, then all the time," says one brother. "They invaded our dreams, our conversation." Zuabi simply wanted to tell a Palestinian story about Palestinians. "Our narrative is the less known one – history is written by the victors," he says, but adds: "There is no spite. I find the blame game futile. It's not like I do theatre to crush Israeli propaganda. I don't hear Israeli propaganda. I don't care about it."
I Am Yusuf And This Is My Brother opens at the Young Vic in London on 19 January.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.